20th May is the UN’s World Bee Day. On this day, we bring you some interesting bee facts that will increase your knowledge.
It is the fact that the fundamental process for the survival of our ecosystem is pollination. Bees and other pollinators play an essential role in keeping the people and the planet healthy. The World Bee Day is celebrated to create awareness about the significance of these essential pollinators. This day aims at promoting actions that will protect pollinators and their habitats, which would significantly contribute to the sustainable development of beekeeping.
Interesting bee facts on World Bee Day
Here are some interesting facts related to bees:
- As we all know that in order to produce honey, a hardworking bee has to fly around the Earth three times. It covers about 90000 miles to collect the nectar from almost 2 million flowers.
- In the lifetime, an average bee is able to produce only a teaspoon of honey. An average bee can make roughly 5 grams of honey during its life.
- In addition to that, the bees are fabulous flyers. These amazing creatures can fly at a speed of 25 km per hour.
- The recorded fastest speed of a bee flight is 15 miles/hour.
- Bees have an exceptional amplitude to remember and learn objects.
- The size of the brain of the bees is around the size of a sesame seed.
- Dancing is the way through which bees can communicate with each other.
- The buzz-like sound made by the bees with their wings can strike about 11400 times in a minute and 200 times per second.
- For hundreds of millions of years, honey bees have been producing honey in the same way.
- Bee is the only insect that produces edible food consumed by humans.
Dancing of bees
“Waggle dance” the most interesting fact about bees. When they discover a good origin of nectar, they use this dance to shows their friends. They fly back to their hives and perform this dance to indicate the direction of the nectar source.
Bee colonies and queen bee
The most interesting fact about bees is that a colony of bees (in which they live) consists of twenty thousand to sixty thousand honey bees. Amongst all these bees, there is only one queen. The queen bee lays the eggs, and it is only the bee who lays eggs. She lays up to 2500 eggs per day, especially in months of summer. This sovereign bee can live up to 5 generations.
Interesting Bee Facts Video
On this day, reflect on their incredible journey and appreciate them. We all need to play our part to improve the abundance and diversity of bees on this World Bee Day.